Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
Review: Untangled - A Crafty Sheep’s Guide to Tapestry WeavingRebecca Mezoff CraftySheepPress.com, 2020 ISBN 9781732571105 Review by: Paulette Furnival July, 2020 Rebecca Mezoff is a well respected tapestry weaver and great communicator whose online courses have a worldwide following, so this book was much anticipated...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthThis stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, purely woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Christine SawyerI trained in fine art and taught for some years before becoming a full time tapestry weaver in the mid 1980's. I exhibit here and abroad, and have been commissioned by, among others, Coca Cola Schweppes and the House of Lords.
My work is a response to a specific environment, occurrence, or current obsession and is a mixture of observation, memory, and imagination
In 2010 I received a Theo Moorman Trust award to make new work from a series of large graphite drawings, which reflect concerns for the natural world: changes in weather patterns, waste, and the loss of resources.