Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
News: BTG Launches new Online Exhibition featureWe often get invited to view 'online exhibitions' but the BTG have taken this concept a step further. A new feature on our website enables us to curate tapestry art into display 'walls', as they would be in an actual exhibition...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthRe-opening in May! This stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, traditionally woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Joyce CoultonI graduated in printed textiles, then worked in industry designing jacquard fabrics and tufted carpets. Fascination with the process of translating designs into a grid format to enable machinery to produce a finished textile, probably influenced my subsequent involvement in tapestry weaving.
I use an old picture-frame as a loom and work with embroidery threads on a small scale. My tapestries include figures, faces and partially recognisable objects.