Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
Review: Untangled - A Crafty Sheep’s Guide to Tapestry WeavingRebecca Mezoff CraftySheepPress.com, 2020 ISBN 9781732571105 Review by: Paulette Furnival July, 2020 Rebecca Mezoff is a well respected tapestry weaver and great communicator whose online courses have a worldwide following, so this book was much anticipated...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthThis stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, purely woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Elizabeth RadcliffeI learned to weave at night class, taught by Archie Brennan and Maureen Hodge at ECA, whilst working at the Dovecot as a screen printer. I then went to Edinburgh College of Art to study tapestry.
Inspired by the patterns of nature,especially around animal eyes, I have woven a series recently, mainly cats and big cats.
Having found the Ashley Book of Knots at college, I have been working over the years to explore the sculptural quality of tying knots in woven strips.
I have always been interested in clothes and fabric and especially how they look on the human body.