Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
News: Tapestry CelebrationsThe British Tapestry Group is inviting all tapestry weavers to ‘celebrate’ your ‘End of Year’ festivities with us by weaving a small tapestry with your chosen theme. These will be shown in a specific Gallery on the BTG Website so anybody who visits the website can share the joy, be motivated towards a colourful Festive Season and give a happiness boost towards the New Year...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthThis stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, purely woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Jane Riley
I work at The Weaving Rooms in Darlington alongside artist Becky Sunter where we have our own studio spaces in addition to delivering workshops in weaving, spinning and tapestry.
My subject matter comes from my love of the environment and the natural world. Coastline, woodland, and moors, all rich sources of inspiration. I create a body of work around a theme exploring and developing ideas and images. Currently my work is about seaweed and has me wading out to sea at low tide with my camera and sketchbook scouring rock pools.