Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
News: BTG Launches new Online Exhibition featureWe often get invited to view 'online exhibitions' but the BTG have taken this concept a step further. A new feature on our website enables us to curate tapestry art into display 'walls', as they would be in an actual exhibition...
Exhibition: Threads in ShedsThreads in Sheds is our latest exhibition where we aim to promote woven tapestry as a contemporary art form. Thirty Six full members of the British Tapestry Group from all regions and nations of the UK and international members have created new tapestry weavings which reflect the heritage and traditions of weaving and shows contemporary weft faced tapestry weaving at its best and most innovative including all styles of weaving, figurative, three-dimensional, contemporary and styles we are yet to experience...
Artist of the day: Katie RussellI am a tapestry weaver who works with natural fibres to produce wall hangings. My inspiration is the sea, nature, history, travel and architecture. I weave on an upright loom and love the journey that a tapestry weaving can take me, from the idea right up until the finished piece of work. Countries that I have travelled to and found a great deal of inspiration include Denmark, Germany, Poland and Russia.
With having a love of history I love finding out about tapestry weaving in different countries and sharing ideas and learning new techniques.