Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
News: BTG website is now LIVE! It is here there and everywhere!Welcome to our new website. There is lots to see, but for starters, here is just some of our new features: Scroll down on the Home page to see the Artist of the Day. From there you can link directly to their Showcase page and / or view the whole Showcase...
Exhibition: Window on WeavingPROVISIONALLY re-scheduled for May 2021 (dates will be confirmed closer to the time). The exhibition is organised by BTG SE, and the BTG London Group have been invited to participate. The work exhibited is an expression, both of the diversity of the weavers who created the pieces on display, as well as demonstrating the vast potential of the techniques involved...
Artist of the day: Lorna GoldsmithI taught myself tapestry weaving when I was a teenager and after a long break I have returned to this calm and reflective weaving technique. My weaving uses many different fibres in the threads used in the weft. Whether handspun or commercial yarn I like to explore and experiment with how different fibres work in the weaving process.
In addition to tapestry weaving I use other craft disciplines as part of the design process, and so I felt, embroider and print to widen my visual vocabulary.
My tapestries are developed intuitively and through experimental use of different techniques.