Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
News: Tapestry CelebrationsThe British Tapestry Group is inviting all tapestry weavers to ‘celebrate’ your ‘End of Year’ festivities with us by weaving a small tapestry with your chosen theme. These will be shown in a specific Gallery on the BTG Website so anybody who visits the website can share the joy, be motivated towards a colourful Festive Season and give a happiness boost towards the New Year...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthThis stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, purely woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Eleonora Budden
A challenge is my inspiration. I often have ideas quite ‘outside the box’, so I ponder on how I could turn it into something tangible. At first, I tried to take on something new or different in every project. Then, as I discovered a theme to my work, I began to develop a more planned approach. I have always made samplers, not just for colours, but ideas. Some of these I treasure just as much as the larger project.
Most of my work until recently had been figurative. I like to think my fingers are telling a story as they weave the different colour threads into a picture.