Welcome to The British Tapestry Group
Welcome to our website where we will show you what we have to offer. We are an enthusiastic and growing organisation whose aims are to:
- Raise the profile of woven tapestry as an art form
- Increase awareness of the process and scope of woven tapestry
- Provide a support and communication network for artists working in woven tapestry
- Circulate information about exhibitions, events and commissions
- Offer opportunities for exhibiting in both national and regional exhibitions
- Provide information about weavers who teach and those who welcome visitors
STOP PRESS: This year's AGM will be held on Saturday 31st October, 2 - 4pm (UK time) via Zoom. Details can be found on the AGM page in the Members' area.
Review: Untangled - A Crafty Sheep’s Guide to Tapestry WeavingRebecca Mezoff CraftySheepPress.com, 2020 ISBN 9781732571105 Review by: Paulette Furnival July, 2020 Rebecca Mezoff is a well respected tapestry weaver and great communicator whose online courses have a worldwide following, so this book was much anticipated...
Exhibition: Fabric of the NorthThis stunning exhibition mixes regular and 3D tapestries, large and small, mounted and unmounted, purely woven and mixed-media, but all on one theme: our northern heritage. The exhibition is curated and managed by northern members of the British Tapestry Group...
Artist of the day: Lindsey MarshallBased in Shropshire
I am interested in conveying meaning by the use of abstracted letterform shapes, colour and surface texture. My work merges two disciplines, visual communication and textiles - the influence of my background in typography being evident in the work where words are embedded in the design. Although lettering is an underpinning, fundamental element in most of the work, it is not necessarily intended to be legible or obvious.
My work sometimes combines woven tapestry with other textile techniques such as knotting, wrapping and binding which are often used to intensify the outline or meaning of the work.